Levinson is one of the most dependable brand names when it comes to high-end audio systems. For years the brand has been recognized by audiophiles throughout the world as equipment that delivers clear and consistent quality in music.
What are the specs for the Mark Levinson No. 39?
- Single-chassis CD player with digital inputs and outputs, digital switching capabilities, and variable analog output.
- Volume control (attenuation) range:
- -61.2dB to +12dB.
- D/A conversion:
- dual-differential 20-bit DACs.
- Digital filter:
- 8x-oversampling, 24-bit configured for 20-bit output.
- Analog filter:
- Bessel-tuned linear phase to 40kHz.
- Input complement:
- one EIAJ optical digital input, one S/PDIF (RCA) digital input.
- Output complement:
- two male XLR balanced audio outputs, two RCA single-ended audio outputs, one AES/EBU (XLR) digital output, one S/PDIF (RCA) digital output, two RJ-45 modular Communication Links.
- I/O 3.5mm external IR input jack.
- Frequency response:
- 10Hz-30kHz, -0.2dB.
- S/N Ratio:
- 105dB (10Hz-30kHz).
- Channel separation:
- greater than 110dB.
- 0.003% at 1kHz, 0dBFS (10Hz-30kHz).
- Intermodulation distortion (SMPTE IMD):
- greater than 0.005%.
- Maximum output (0dBFS signal):
- 4.45V balanced, 2.225V single-ended.
- Low-level linearity:
- deviation less than 2dB to below -90dBFS; less than 2dB to below -120dBFS with 20-bit output.
- Output impedance (analog):
- 10 ohms (unbalanced).
- Direct digital output, XLR:
- AES/EBU 110 ohms, 3.5V.
- Direct digital output, RCA:
- S/PDIF 75 ohms, 0.5V.
- Power consumption:
- 36W maximum.
- 15.75" (400mm) W by 2.84" (97.5mm) H by 13.38" (340mm) D.
- Shipping weight:
- 50 lbs.
What else to know about the Mark Levinson No. 39?
"What do you want in a digital playback system? If you want the utmost sound quality and totally unconfining flexibility, you're probably looking for separates—and you're also probably looking at a BIIIIG price tag as well.
But if you're looking for enough flexibility to feel as though your choices aren't being restricted, you ought to contemplate the Mark Levinson No.39. The fact that it's also one of the best-sounding CD players I've heard to date could just be considered a bonus.
Is it competitive with the very-best-sounding units out there? I can't say for sure because I couldn't convince anyone to lend me a contender long enough to find out. Picky little rascal that I am, I can think of a few ways to improve the sound of the No.39, but not by much. I just don't think our current standard can get much better than this, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
What I can say is that the Mark Levinson No.39 reproduces music on the most exalted level; that it is well-built and reliable; that it offers an awful lot of intelligently implemented options to anyone looking for a CD player, a digital processor, or a switching unit; and that its volume control is superior to, or the equal of, that of almost any preamp I've ever heard. That's aplenty, as they say.
Factor in the price, and it's pretty much a no-brainer. Anyone looking for topnotch digital sound has simply got to try the No.39. Even if all they want is a CD player." - Stereophile, Phillips
Brief History of Mark Levinson
Long mapped-to Binghamton New York – the current headquarters and manufacturing center for Mark Levinson Labs – not many people know the brand was originally launched outside of the Nation’s Capital in Silver Spring Maryland, in 1949. In 1956, the brand built their original facility in New York, according to the official brand website.
Other Mark Levinson Products We Often Buy
StereoBuyers has purchased tens of thousands worth Mark Levinson brand equipment since 2014, with individual buys ranging from $100 to well over $50,000. If you are moving, ready to upgrade, or have Mark Levinson equipment you do not or will not be using, why not contact us today to find out if it is worth good money?
If you are interested in selling your used Mark Levinson equipment to us in the greater NYC area or Colorado, please click here to fill out a Free Quote Form and we will get back to you. If we agree on terms, we come to meet you where you want, and pay cash.
The following images show actual Mark Levinson equipment purchased by StereoBuyers.